Brandon R. Blevans devotes his entire practice to the strategic and individually tailored representation of clients in family law matters, particularly those involving significant financial issues such as business ownership, complex compensation structures, family limited partnerships, equity compensation, and venture capital interests. Brandon’s experience has been both state and nationally recognized: He is a certified specialist in Family Law, certified by the California State Board of Legal Specialization, a Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, has received the prestigious “Best Lawyers” designation by Best Lawyers in America, has been routinely recognized on the list of Northern California Super Lawyers by SuperLawyers® (a part of Thomson Reuters), and has received the highest possible rating for the ethical practice of law (AV – Preeminent) by Martindale Hubbell®. Brandon Blevans was named by The Best Lawyers, as the Lawyer of the Year (2021) for his work in Family Law in Santa Rosa. Brandon is also a Diplomat of the American College of Family Trial Lawyers. This association is limited to the top 100 family law trial lawyers in the United States and is strictly by invitation only.
Brandon’s practice focuses on issues involving complex compensation, business and tax issues related to business valuation, apportionment of community and separate property interests in premarital businesses, and the determination of income for support purposes. His experience in litigating questions of separate property interests and value of startup businesses includes some of the highest-valued, privately held technology startups (i.e. Unicorns).
In addition to business and property issues arising in divorce, Brandon is also experienced litigating the custody issues attendant to parental relocation (i.e. “move away”) cases. Brandon regularly represents clients throughout the entire Bay Area, from Sonoma, Napa, and Marin counties to the Silicon Valley.
Brandon is also a skilled trial attorney, with experience trying complex family law cases when a negotiated settlement cannot be reached. His experience has led to Brandon serving on the faculty of the nationally renowned National Family Law Trial Institute (Houston), where he teaches all aspects of trial practice to family law attorneys across the country.
In addition to his trial practice, Brandon represents clients in the negotiation and drafting of premarital and postnuptial agreements, assisting clients to clarify their financial circumstances both during marriage and after by agreement rather than in the context of a litigated divorce.
Prior to practicing family law, Brandon spent 12 years counseling companies on complex labor and employment issues, and litigating high-conflict employment and trade secret cases on behalf of management. He is licensed to practice in all state and federal courts in California, and is a member of the Bar of the Supreme Court of the United States.
Brandon regularly conducts presentations for attorneys, Judicial Officers, and CPAs at various family law conferences on topics related to business valuation, tracing, and trial presentation.
Brandon received his Juris Doctor in 1998 from Duke University School of Law, and was admitted to the practice of law in the State of California that year. He received his undergraduate degree in International Relations from the University of Pennsylvania in 1995.
- University of Pennsylvania, major in International Relations, 1995
- Duke University School of Law, J.D. 1998
- All Federal District Courts in California, 1998
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2008
- Certified Specialist in Family Law by the California State Board of Legal Specialization
- Diplomat, American College of Family Trial Lawyers
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Faculty, National Family Law Trial Institute (Houston)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Sonoma County Bar Association
- Napa County Bar Association
- Former Member, Sonoma County Family Law Steering Committee
- Recognized by Best Lawyers 2022, 2024
- “Best Lawyers” designation by Best Lawyers in America
- 2021 Lawyer of the Year in Santa Rosa by Best Lawyers
- Northern California Super Lawyers by SuperLawyers®
- AV Preeminent Rated by Martindale Hubbell®